Sunday, February 19, 2012

1st Pinewood Derby

I was sad to be missing Hunter's first pinewood derby while I was in Chicago. I planned my trip months in advance and I didn't even know about the pinewood derby or I would have gone a different week for sure.
But Hunter was understanding and Justin was a great dad............he even helped Hunter get his car ready days in advance......lol!
Brother French in our ward helped get Hunter's weights right on his car. And of course Grandpa Boswell helped out a ton! Shaped great and ready for paint! Pretty happy looking kid I'd say!
I guess the night Hunter's car was ready for paint was a school night. It was 9:00 by the time Justin got off work and got the kids settled for bed. Hunter told his dad, "I guess we have to wait til tomorrow night to paint my car huh?" Well Justin's response made Hunter's day he said, "Well how about we stay up and do it tonight?"
Hunter couldn't believe it.........so my boys stayed up late painting Hunter's car. What a great memory for them both! I think Justin was just as excited about the pinewood derby as Hunter was to be honest.
Dressed to kill in this boyscout uniform and ready to race!
Justin said Hunter was a great sport when he didn't win a race. And as a parent that is what you hope for in competitions like this. Hunter did win many races but he didn't place in the top 4. So he was bummed but Justin said he acted mature the whole night.
What a cute looking group of boys!
That night I called to see how thing went. Hunter talked to me for an hour and a half. It was so fun to talk to him. He gets in these adult conversation moods and I absolutely treasure every minute when he does. We talked about a lot of things but every so often he would go back to the pinewood derby. Even though I couldn't be there to watch him it was great to talk the night away with him about it!
Great job and example Hunter Jay!

No comments: