Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spelling Bee

Hunter made it to the spelling bee at his school.
He picked out his outfit all on his own.
He insisted on wearing his purple earphones with his purple iPod.
Said, "He wanted to look cool while he spelled his words!"



I have to start off saying that I hate the spelling bee.  Actually let me rephrase that I hate when my kids are in the spelling bee.  It makes me so nervous for them.  And I know my kids ( at least Kiersten and Hunter) are such perfectionists that I know they are going to be disappointed with themselves regardless of how they do.

This year Hunter made it to the spelling bee!

Hunter was gone the day they handed out the list of words to study over Christmas break.  He was upset about that but we kept forgetting to ask his teacher, our neighbor to get us a copy so he could study it during his break.  So he never studied them.
Hunter can be such an emotional little guy.  He wears his emotions on his sleeves like his mom!  That and the fact that he expects perfection from himself are a bad combination for the spelling bee.



Hunter did a fabulous job!
He got forth place.



The whole situation is intimidating.  At DPA the room that the spelling bee in held in is tiny.  With the whole crowd right in your face, not to mention the panel of judges starring at you what kid wouldn't feel uncomfortable.  Hunter seemed to handle the pressure with easy.
The last four kids went five rounds before Hunter got out.
You know how spelling bees go.....it's just the luck of the draw if you get a hard word.
The round Hunter got out the other kids words were, "family......wonderful........react."
Hunter got the word, "dyer".......Example "I am in dyer need of help right now."
He doesn't even know what the word means and has probably never written that word in his life.  He was bummed that he got that word.  He could have spelled every other word that round but his.
He spelled it just how it sounds...."dier."
I was proud of Hunter for making it so many rounds especially considering he never looked at the list of words to study.
Since Hunter contained his composure, even though I could tell he was upset and really wanted to cry I decided to treat him, Logan and Grant to a movie.  Kiersten was still at dance.
We watched The Hobbit and loved it!
Great way to end a stressful day!
Way to go Hunter! 

No comments: