Saturday, March 7, 2015

Hollywood Connection Dance Competition

It was a wonderful weekend of dance!  We stayed at the Renaissance hotel in downtown Phoenix so we could be right next to the convention/competition.  It the years past I stay at a cheap hotel a ways away from the convention center where this convention is.  but that means getting up much earlier and staying at the convention most of the time because I don't want to pay for parking twice.  Justin was sweet when I told him my dilemma he said just get a nice room close so I could have a relaxing weekend.  And that is just what I did!!!

Wendy Shupe and two of her girls stayed with us in our room.  It was a ton of fun!  Saturday we didn't even get out of bed till 3:00 in the afternoon.  Our girls got back from the convention and we were still in our pajamas laying on the beds.  Wendy and I had a wonderful therapy session........I cried, she cried, I vented, she vented and we both felt much better afterwards.


Kiersten loves her dance group!
Kiersten, Ashlynn, Destiny, Ryleigh, Alana, Kaitlyn (The girls in the green costumes)


It was great to have time with Kiersten!  She is GORGEOUS in every way!


Kiersten's group competed three dances....Shake It Off (Tap), Human (Lyrical) and Smile (Contemporary).  They got 2nd for Shake It Off and got 3rd for Human.  They danced amazing out there and really represented our little community beautifully!


I could not be prouder of Kiersten's work ethic!  She was THE ONLY GIRL out of the whole company that attended every class at the convention and danced the entire classes.  So many girls skipped to stay up in their rooms or sat to the side of the dance room because they just didn't want to dance.  I have explained to Kiersten on many occasions that I expect her to be at class and dance if she is coming to a convention.  They are expensive and I'm not paying for her to sit on the side of the room.  I don't care if Kiersten attends conventions but if she does she better be trying her best to learn whats being taught, even when it's super hard and the room is too packed with dancers.  I don't care the excuse, she needs to be dancing and learning or I've told her she won't be going to conventions.
You can talk to your kids about values and expectations you have for them but you never know if they are listening or really hearing what your saying.


When I walked in to the convention on the last day, Rena, one of Kiersten's dance teachers came up to me and explained how Kiersten was THE ONLY GIRL that danced the entire convention, in every single class.  Rena almost started to cry when she was telling me all about how proud she was of Kiersten.  She was disappointed in the other girls and how many classes they sat out or just skipped for no real reason.  But she was beaming with how much she appreciates Kirsten's work ethic.  Rena told me that next dance season she is going to give Kiersten a BIG SPOT LIGHT in a dance as a reward for Kiersten dancing the way she did this weekend!


It was a proud mom moment for sure!


We enjoyed some Cafe Rio before heading home!  It was such a fun weekend and we enjoyed our time with the Shupe girls as well.


When we got home Kiersten's bedroom door was decorated from her sweet brothers.


I'd say they missed her this weekend!
#feelingblessed #prouddancemom

No comments: