Monday, April 25, 2011

Birthday Party turns Bad

So on Saturday February 26th Logan went to a friends birthday party at the Pima Park.
Well it ended up being a more eventful birthday party then I had hoped for.
Kiersten and I were in town doing some grocery shopping when I got a call from Wendy Shupe telling me that they called from the party and they think Logan might have broke his arm. So I hurry and check out......my car is loaded with groceries........I call Justin (he was at home with the other two boys) to let him know whats going on and to meet me at the park.....I rush to the park...
When I got there Justin was holding Logan...........Logan was crying and holding his arm. I asked him to show me his arm........ Aaaaaaa no question his arm was broke!!! We are so lucky to have such great friends like the Shupe's! Wendy just took right over........took my car home with the kids........put all my groceries away (with sweet Kiersten's help)........got the kids dinner.......and then had one of her girls come over to babysit. So Justin and I could just focus on Logan.... when we got to the hospital we were so happy to have our favorite ER nurse Heather Mack! Yes I know it's kind of sad to have a "favorite" ER nurse but we do. She got us a back private room because the ER was full of sick people. Thank you Heather! Stewart was working and stopped by to cheer Logan up and to tell him how brave he was. Logan was thrilled to have a cop in uniform come to the hospital just to see him! Thanks Stewart! Logan was such a trooper! They gave him morphine for the pain.... that is when we found out Logan is allergic to morphine. He scram so much worse when Heather was injecting the morphine then he did with his arm being broken or her getting the IV in. She kind of thought it was weird but once his hand and arm turned bright red and started getting hives all over she said, "oh no he's allergic to the morphine" and she ran out of the room. She quickly came back with Benadryl and put that in his IV. It helped a lot with the hives..........poor sweet Logan! It seemed so painful! Heather tried to flush the IV but it was really hurting Logan so he had to get a new IV put in. They called Dr. Bryce, the orthopedic surgeon to come in and set Logan's arm. Logan was given Diprivan, the Michael Jackson drug, to go to sleep. He was so brave the whole time........once the allergic reaction from the Morphine was gone....that seemed to be worse then anything! We loved Dr. Bryce.....he was so good with Logan. He did think Logan was asleep and he gave Logan's arm a little yank.......... Oh boy Logan sat straight up out of the bed and said "NO!" So Heather gave him some more Diprivan and we waited a few more minutes...... then things were all good and Dr. Bryce quickly set Logan's arm. We were a little bummed that they didn't have water proof casts at the hospital as we were planning to go to the beach in a few weeks (but those plans changed anyway). It was a crazy day but Logan was a brave little guy through it all!

No comments: