Monday, April 4, 2011

Our Happy Hotel Surprise

So when the kids and I left for Mesa Saturday morning Justin was being kind of funny. He informed me that no he wasn't working all weekend. I assumed he would be working all weekend or that he would have offered to at least come with us for the weekend, even though we were staying until Wednesday. So I was a little surprised and he was just acting cold.
Anyway, the kids and I left and started our fun.
Saturday night I called Justin and he was acting cold again.......he just kept talking about how he just worked on his four wheeler and rode all day! He commented how nice the quite was........not that I wouldn't agree with him it was just the way he was going about it. He is very known for being quiet and "shutting down", but talking so cold has not ever been an issue in our marriage.
I really was at a loss........after all he had made it sound like he was working all weekend and couldn't get away with us.
Anyway, by Sunday night when I called him he was even more rude about things and the fact that he slept in, took a long nap after church, loved the peace and what not. So I called him on it and told him I totally understood needing and enjoying time away from your spouse and children. But the way he was being so cold and rude about it was the part I wasn't sure how to interpret.
He didn't say a whole lot .....it seemed like he was hiding something and then one of our phones dropped the call. I didn't call him back and he didn't call me back. So let's just say Monday was full of some "Retail Therapy" for me (my personal favorite type of therapy)! Monday night around 8:30 Justin calls me and tells me he has some explaining to do.
He proceeds to tell me what he actually did all weekend.......
He wanted to surprise me by doing a ton of yard work that I had mentioned was my plan for the kids and I once we got home from Mesa...
There were lots of weeds to pull......Justin did all that!
There were several plants in both the front and back yard that needed to be replaced....Justin did all that!
The backyard needed mowed.......Justin did that!
We needed to schedule Curtis Landscape to come replace a medium size tree in the front yard that had died while under their warranty.......Justin did that!
The bushes and trees needed trimming........Justin did all that!
He further explained that he wanted to surprise me with all this because he was so grateful of how supportive I have been for the past several months during this FMI job. Justin has been working crazy hours.......stressed to a max....and extremely frustrated with people at work! He has been bring work home with him to look over and it just never seems to end or let up.
I was so shocked and also a little confused.........I told him that all was so sweet of him and I was very grateful for all his hard work but I still didn't know how to interpret how rude and cold he was..... I asked him why he was so rude and cold when I would talk to him over the weekend...
His explanation was so strangely hilarious...
He tells me that for some reason he thought if he acted rude and cold about us being gone that I would be upset with him (yes that worked) then he explains how he thought if I was upset then I would be even more happy and excited when I found out all he had done to surprise me.........
Not So Much!
We had a good laugh and a good talk about that fact that he doesn't need to make me upset to increase the impact of any surprise. It all was a HUGE surprise because Justin just isn't really known for being big on surprises. I was so grateful for all he did and how sweet he eventually was about how much he loves the kids and I.
We got an even bigger surprise when at the end of our conversation he explains that he is so mad and frustrated with someone at work that he was on his way to Mesa to be with us. He was pretty irate about things at work and I actually felt like I should thank people for being inconsiderate jerks because they were the reason Justin left the office for two days and came to spend time with us.
I didn't tell the kids their dad was coming to be with us........so the next morning when the kids woke up and came in to wake me they got the surprise of a lifetime. It was like Christmas morning for them! They all were so happy their daddy came and surprised them! Wish I had videotaped the expression on their faces........PRICELESS!
Mr. Grant didn't want to leave his daddy's side! We all had so much fun swimming at the hotel. The water was nice and warm so even Mr. Grant could play in the water for hours and not get cold. It was awesome! I feel so blessed to be married to such a sweet and thoughtful man.... even if he was deliberately rude and I still to this day don't fully understand what the heck he was thinking with that whole thought process. But one think I do know is that I LOVE HIM! Hunter had a blast taking Logan for a ride. Tasia and Kiersten having fun playing catch. See that stream........it was so nice. It was a cooler then normal Spring Break week in the Mesa area.
I love swimming goggle pictures!
This picture doesn't do Mr. Grant's wrinkly toes justice..........such cute wrinkled piggies!
What a sweet little guy!
We ALL loved our Hotel Surprise!

No comments: