Sunday, April 3, 2011

Scuba Diving In Mexico

These are pictures from our first two dives at the MUSA......underwater museum!
We swam around, over and through the statues.
The MUSA has only been open for a few months. I believe there is only one other underwater museum and it's in Asia.
It's was interesting to see all the detail in the statues and then to remind yourself that you were underwater was a cool combination.
We couldn't go all the way to Cancun and not get a little scuba diving in. We did two days of diving doing two dives each day.
The first day we went to the MUSA......... an underwater museum. It was a shallow dive at only about 35-40 feet down. There are all these statues placed on the ocean floor.....it was interesting. I saw statues that reminded me of each of my kids so that was pretty cool. I wish I had an underwater camera so I could have taken pictures of those statues.
Yes I am lucky enough to have this guy for ETERNITY!
I love everything about diving!
On our second day of diving we decided to dive in some c-notes. Basically Caves underwater..........I have to say I was slightly intimidated with these dives at first. So you walk down some stairs and then there is a small opening of water. What you see in this picture is about all the opening there is then you dive down under the rocks and travel through the caves.
See the light that is where you begin the dive........it was crazy! We went with a brother and sister from Iowa and the Dive Master.........so it was the five of us. Each of us was given a flash light. It's really dark in a lot of places but every once in a while there are openings in the earth above us and the light shines down through the opening. It was beautiful to see the light coming through.
As my luck would have it about 5 minutes into our dive my flash light stopped working. And it was pitch dark...... I felt like screaming but knew I couldn't so I tried to just follow the flash light of the person in front of me. After just a few seconds I could tell it would be a stressful dive if I continued to do this.........so Justin was behind me (we are all swimming in a line). I slow down and once he caught up to me I show him my flash light wasn't working. I just held onto his arm and continued the rest of our 40 minute dive.
The view from in the water....
This is what it looked like where the light was shinning through.
There were no fish which was different then any dive I have been on. Also it was fresh water.......since it wasn't the ocean. It was nice to not have the sticky feeling on the salt water.
This is what the dive looked like a lot of the time. It really got your blood pumping.....
When you are diving in the ocean no matter if you are 100 feet down you always know you can go up to the surface. But with this cave diving there is no place to go up.........you have to find your way out, so that right there made your adrenaline run faster then normal.
Just think of it as spelunking underwater.........pretty cool stuff!
We always meet the best people when we go on dives. We met a very funny couple from London, a super nice guy from Canada (he actually sent us all the underwater pictures..........thanks Mike) and a sweet gal from Finland.
We laughed and joked and just had a great time visiting with them. The c-note diving was only suppose to take from 8-2.........yeah it ended up taking until 7:30 p.m. to get back. It was crazy! But we were with great people and that made all the difference in the world. For lunch they served us Iguana sandwiches..........just so you know I am not a fan of eating Iguana, but I was so hungry I ate about 3/4 of the sandwich.

No comments: