Monday, April 25, 2011

Scare with Mr. Grant

April 6th was a busy day for me......
I was trying to pack and get all the kids stuff lined out because I was leaving for my Girls Trip to California at 4:00 that day. I also was babysitting Wendy's kids that morning.
Logan, Mr. Grant, Carsyn, and Ryker were all playing in the back yard having fun. All of the sudden the kids come running in saying Mr Grant was hurt. I hurry out and he was screaming but walking towards me. I asked them what happened and they told me Mr. Grant fell off the castle. He fell from the top story of the castle to the inside bottom level.......approximately 6 feet. He scram for maybe 5 minutes and then he was knocked out. I couldn't get him to wake up.
Ironically this brought me right back to the day Logan fell 10 feet on to a cement basement floor and suffered a small subdural hematoma, he also had frontal skull fracture, parietal skull fracture. That experience was terrifying! Logan was roughly the same age as Mr. Grant was and both Logan and Mr. Grant's falls happened in the month of April, just a week difference in the day.........but of course 4 years apart.
I called Justin to tell him what was going on and together we decided it would be best to take him to the ER. I was leaving at 4:00 and knew I needed to make sure he was okay or I wouldn't be able to leave him.
Mr. Grant's face was white as a ghost and it looked like he had possibly hit his face in the fall. I didn't really examine his head once he was asleep and wouldn't wake up I just did the things I had to do to get him to the ER. Wendy had gotten home so I grabbed some lunch stuff for all the kids, packed it in a bag and told them to hurry and put their shoes on. I took the kids back to Wendy's, asked her if she could keep Logan and get him to preschool, and explained why Mr. Grant was passed out on my shoulder. She wanted to call an ambulance but I insisted that I could take him myself. She didn't know the detail that he had been awake after his fall for a few minutes plus I knew I could make it to the hospital faster then the ambulance could get to us. So away we went........I held Mr. Grant in my arms and tried to talk to him to get him to wake up, but nothing. I ran into the ER, they hurried and checked us in........Mr. Grant slept through all that. Once we were back in our room the doctor came in quickly to check him out. I went to lay him down and the Dr. pointed to the back of his head and asked if this way his birth mark. Mr. Grant had a 2 inch strawberry on the back of his head and I said, "Oh no that would be where he hit his head when he fell." She examined it and then asked my to lay him down. As soon as I layed him down he woke up...........Justin got there shortly after he woke up. The Dr. examined Mr. Grant for a bit and since he was awake and alert she wanted to observe him before doing any tests.
Mr. Grant was a little groggy for about 10 minutes but then he was just like his usual self. He was playful and happy! We had to stay at the hospital for a couple of hours to be observed but I was so very grateful that things were fine. I said a pray of gratitude in my heart the rest of that day. I had envisioned him being airvaced out like Logan and for sure that would mean me missing my girls trip.
But things went much better then that and we were back home at 3:00 with an hour left to finish packing, take a shower and get ready. I was so thankful it was just a little scare and nothing more........this time. Life can just change in the blink of an eye so I am always thankful to my Heavenly Father when what could be a huge challenge ends up just being a little reminder!
Mr. Grant just adores his Grandpa Boswell
He thinks Grandpa's shop is the best place on earth.........and I think my dad loves Mr. Grant wanting to be out there just as much!
The Dr. explained that one explanation as to why Mr. Grant was knocked out is because after his fall he scream bloody murder for about 5 minutes. Between the actual event of falling that far and hitting a hard surface along with all that screaming his little body could only take so much adrenaline and then it kind of shut down so to speak.

Now that is one happy boy

I love this picture of my dad talking to Mr. Grant and I am pretty sure Mr. Grant thinks he is working right with Grandpa!
I love you Mr. Grant!

No comments: