Saturday, May 22, 2010

We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet!

Seeing the prophets jet heading towards the Safford airport caused great excitement! It's the little white line at the top of the mountain. Kristen and Amy had made signs to welcome the prophet. Justin got construction barricades for the signs to be put on. We heard the news that the prophet would be landing around 2:00 so we decided to wait at the end of my in-laws drive way so we could wave to him as he drove by. We had no idea that we were in for the treat of a lifetime!
Here comes his slew of cars.... The prophet instructed his driver to pull over. It did almost cause the cars behind his to rear end each other. After they got out of their cars Elder Henry B. Eyring said.... We need to have some signal for those of us behind you President so we know when your stopping. This could have just made the church news. You can imagine our AWE when the cars pulled over. I had been told to take lots of good pictures so I ran closer thinking they might get out and wave to us then get back in their cars. The rest of the story is like a heavenly dream... I am behind the camera so you can imagine my excitement seeing the prophet walking towards us. He was telling us to stay there and he would come to us, he didn't want us in the road. By great chance I happened to be the first person to greet President Monson. I shook his hand and gave him a gentle hug. I told him how happy we were to meet him. He said "it's good to be here and this looks like a good looking group!" As he walked away from me towards the group of friends and family it was an amazing moment for me. I got the chills.......the good kind, and I started to get emotional while trying to take in what was happening. I have always had a testimony that President Monson is a true prophet of God. But what a testimony building experience it was to have the spirit testify to me while shaking the prophet's hand that This Is The Lord's Prophet On The Earth Today! I felt the spirit so strong as I watched him walk towards the children and crowd. I am not normally a emotional person, but I got choked up and had tears of joy. I will forever be grateful for this experience. It was great fun to see all his security people. I think they weren't too happy about the prophet being on the side of the road. I could not believe I was about to shake hands with the Prophet! What a humbling experience. The prophet took Kendall's hat and tried it on. Who would have ever thought the prophet would be wearing a bird finger hat. He was a little taken back when he read what the cap said. Stacy was so embarrassed. But that's the name of their bird hunting company so what can you do.....it is catchy. The prophet has a instantly great sense of humor! He is so quick witted! I have tried several times to help my kids understand what a rare and amazing opportunity they had to meet the prophet, Thomas S. Monson, and two apostles, Elder Henry B. Eyring and Elder Jeffery R. Holland. They also got to see a member of the Seventy, Elder William R. Walker. They not only had the chance to shake their hands they spoke like we were old friends. They asked the kids questions and listen to their responses. In this picture the prophet took Kendall by the face and told him and all the other kids right there to watch his ears. He proceeded to wiggle his ears! It was the cutest thing! The kids got quite a kick out of that. I was glad Kiersten, Hunter and Logan got to be right there to see that. It was amazing to personally witness his profound love for the children! The prophet and General Athorities were all so genuine and personable. The prophet told the boys, "Looks like a bunch of future missionaries to me. Now you boys make sure to go on a mission." In the picture is Kaely, Jordon, Kiersten, Cambry, Kaden, Kendall Hunter, President Thomas S. Monson, Stacy, Branton...........Logan, Doyle and Brinner are on the other side in front of the prophet. This is the prophet putting his hand on Hunter's head......what a memory! All the boys, Hunter, Kendall, Kaden, Logan and Brinner giving the prophet a hug. Kiersten was a little shy but that's OK..........she got her turn later. This would be Logan hugging or better yet attached to the prophets leg. He told the prophet, "I Love You!" I was afraid Logan was going to knock the prophet down. I realized being the photographer isn't always the best. So I asked Stacy to take a picture of me by the prophet. I realized I wouldn't have any proof that I was actually there being the one behind the camera. In this picture, Logan is pointing to the prophet saying, "Mom that's the prophet and we follow him." I love Logan's little smile and him pointing to the prophet. Elder Walker is to the side of President Monson. Later on while driving back to Pima Logan said, "Tank you mom for letting us see the prophet!" He said it with such enthusiasm it was cute. Logan, being four, was oh so confused about the prophet getting here........he asked, "Mom the prophet came here in a airplane right from heaven?" He then asked me, "Did he bring Jesus with him?" The prophet shaking Kaley's hand. I didn't get a shot of it but he shook Kiersten's hand right after this. And yes that is Logan attached to the prophets leg.
I wanted to get a picture of my kids together with the prophet but this was as good as we got. They all individually had opportunities to hug, shake hands, smile, laugh and enjoy the presence of the prophet. The prophet in the background still makes a terrific picture!
The prophets security was on top of things. There were so many men in suits to ensure the safety of the prophet.
Kendall, Logan and Kaden talking with Elder Jeffery R. Holland. I love Logan looking up to him. I have to say Elder Holland and Elder Eyring would be at the top of my most favored apostles..........before this experience I mean.......and of course now after getting to meet them.
Elder Holland said, "these boys must all be brothers?"
We explained to him who were brothers........Hunter and Logan..........Kendall, Kaden and Brinner.
Elder Holland then said, "well they have to be cousins cause they all look alike!"
Hunter replied, "yes we are cousins!" even though we aren't........the kids think they are. What an experience to not just meet but actually visit with an apostle of Jesus Christ.
I just couldn't take enough pictures to capture the intense feeling of joy, excitement and love that we felt.
Christi, David and President Monson
Mom told President Monson about when she was just 12, she had to speak in a stake conference and he was one of the other speakers. I believe she said he had just be put into the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles at the time. After the conference he told her if she ever got kicked out of her house there would be a place for her at the Monson house!
Without missing a beat he replied........"well, are you ready!"
Kaely and Jacob are right there to witness the prophet laughing and sharing.
I can't fully express the experience to do it justice. To say it was a treat, a thrill, a treasure, exciting , amazing... would be an huge understatement.
Logan, Me, President Monson, Cambry, Kaely, Tif (holding Brynlee) Doyle and Brian. I so wish Justin would have been there. Obviously he would have come had he thought the prophet would actually stop. He was busy working on the fence out back that he didn't want to stop to just see their cars drive by........and we weren't even sure we'd get to see them drive by. When I called Justin and once I got home and visited with him about the experience he said both times he got the chills. He was thrilled and at awe that we had that opportunity, but so wished he had been there as well.
Mr. Grant was a bit fussy with teething so I had left him at home with my mom. I now wish I would have made her come wait with us.
At one point Hunter and Brinner were sitting in the two red lawn chairs and the prophet walked over to them and patted Hunter on the head saying, "We need to get you two buddies out of the sun!"
This picture might not mean a whole lot by itself but what happened right before I took it will forever be a treasured moment for Kiersten............and me. Kiersten was holding her cousin Jordon and patting him on the bum. President Monson patted Kiersten's head and said, "I can tell you are going to be a great mother........you already know just how to pat that babies bottom." Kiersten and I talked about this experience on the way home. I could see in her eyes the joy that she felt having the prophet pat her on the head and say that to her.
When we got home Kiersten, without being asked, made a bottle for Mr. Grant, rocked him to sleep, washed all the bottles, filled the bottles, emptied the dish washer..........and as Justin and I were leaving to go to dinner before the Temple Cultural Celebration......Kiersten said, "Have a good time Mom!'
There is no doubt that Kiersten WILL be a great mother!
Wish I could have had a list of things for the prophet to tell Kiersten and the boys........if it would have such results as this comment did:)
Elder Henry B. Eyring is my absolute favorite church speaker. I have never heard a talk of his that didn't touch me, regardless of the topic. He is so genuine and sincere. He thanked my father-in-law and Brian for the road and cement work that they did at the temple. I never dreamed I would have had the chance to shake his hand, especially right here in The Gila Valley.
This is Brent Beals (I love the Beals family!) visiting with Elder Walker, President Monson and Elder Eyring. It was like four old friends chatting together.
I love this picture.......Brent and the Prophet!
This picture is a bit blurry but I couldn't erase it. Shawn Beals, Brent Beals, Elder Eyring, President Monson and Dad sharing a laugh together. Life doesn't get any better than this! I love the joy you can see and feel in this picture pouring from the prophet!
Several times the prophet was being directed it was time to leave, he finally said, "Hey I thought I was the one incharge." His humor is unmatched. As he was leaving the crowd we sang, "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet." I video taped a minute of it but can't figure out how to post it. The prophet joined in with the singing. I got the chills again while our group, probably 40 people or so were singing with the prophet.
As he was walking to his car his security men were holding onto his arms to sort of aid him walking to the car. President Monson pushed them away and I said, "I can do it." He then held out his arms and walked the yellow line one foot infront of the other. He said, "See I still got it!" We got to follow up this treasured experience by attending the Temple Cultural Celebration.
A Day To Remember............ Forever!

87 comments:

Alison said...

Wow, Christi told my mom about this, and she passed it on to me, but seeing it all in pictures was wonderful! Thanks for posting them all, it must have taken forever. :)

Alene said...

Wow! What an amazing experience. Glad you had your camera!

Martha said...

W.O.W.
I am a Cluff too (my maiden name), from the Mesa area. Thanks for posting these AMAZING pictures. What an incredible opportunity! Just hearing the Prophet speak yesterday was wonderful, but to meet him in person? I'm so jealous...

Laurie Smith said...

Don't you just love those men? What a great experience!

anna said...

Sooo jealous! What an unforgettable, unbelievable memory for children to cherish for the rest of their lives! So awesome!

bonnie said...

thank you so much for posting that. I loved looking at the pictures, I felt the spirit just from your post. Thank you- what a WONDERFUL experience.

Susan and Don said...

I am so happy for all of you that had this special experience! I felt like the celebration and dedication was like visiting heaven for awhile.

Bev said...

You do not know me....I am Tammy Cluff's step-mother-in-law. She told me all about your experience with Pres. Monson.......PRICELESS!!
Thank you for sharing this on your blog so all of us can enjoy it too!! I put a link on my blog post for everyone to visit this beautiful spiritual experience! A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!

gr said...

Thanks for the post from a stranger. If you don't mind I will place it on my facebook. Really great post, thanks. Glenn Richins

Sassy said...

I am here by way of Bev Turley's blog...she directed us here......what a WONDERFUL experience...I am so glad you shared it and your children will never ever forget this in their whole life....thank you again for sharing this amazing experience....Kayola Skinner

Unknown said...

Dang becky! i how exciting for you and your family! That must of been awesome! i wish i would of thought of that!!!

Cooking with Rockymento said...

Thank you so much for such a wonderful post!

BiggsFamily said...

I totally teared up reading this, I am so happy you guys got have that experience of a lifetime!! I know how it felt just seeing him at the cultral celebration so I can't imagine being that close to touch him. Thanks for sharing becky!!

Mormon Women: Who We Are said...

Hello -- thanks for this awesome post!

Did you know this is making the email rounds? That's how I found out about it.

We'd love to share some of this on our website, Mormon Women: Who We Are (mormonwoman.org) if you would be willing to share some of your pictures and thoughts. Please let us know. You can find us at gmail, with the username mormonwoman

Frank Block said...

What a wonderful opportunity. Memories to last a life time.

lefty936 said...

What I beautiful, inspiring, awesome, experience with the prophet. We enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures.
You don't know me but I was born and raised in Central and there were Cluff's that lived there. I'm wondering if you are related to them or if not are you related to Dennis and Judy Cluff? Dennis was from Pima and his dad was a dentist. Thanks again for your post. My email address is lefty936@yahoo.com

Michelle said...

Robert McDonald e-mailed your blog entry & photos of Pres. Monson to Matt Brown, who then forwarded it to people, who sent it to others, etc.

I don't know how many people will ultimately enjoy learning of your experiences, but I'm glad to have been one of them!

THANK YOU for sharing!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I just read your post via what seems to be a forever-forwarded e-mail. I was giggling and tearing up the whole time! What a fun experience for you and your family. I think it is so wonderful that the Lord chooses simple and loving men for His great purpose.

Kevin G said...

I am a stranger to you, although we both share a love of the gospel and the prophets and apostles. I was actually born in Thatcher, but now live in Lehi, Ut. I was forwarded an email with your pictures and comments. Thank you for sharing such a tender and spiritual moment with the rest of us. I was overcome with tears of emotion as I read the account.

Sarah said...

I received your account in an email from my sister who is a secretary in the temple department in SLC. She works on the same floor as Elder Walker (her boss's boss). I appreciate hearing your story, it touched my heart and reaffirmed my thankfulness for and faith in our latter-day prophet. This memory will surely be a treasure forever. Thank you!
Sarah Gudmundson

Lisa said...

your blog post is really making the rounds! thanks for sharing it.. I just love the joy that these brethren have for serving the Lord and his people (that is including the entire world and those who have come before) Your posts have reminded me to serve with joy in my callings and neighborhoods. Thanks for that! I can't wait to share this with my kids!

Barbara said...

I am not sure how this email got passed around... but I am in Rexburg ID reading your wonderful experience with our dear prophet. I do not know you nor you me... but I want to tell you that I was incredibly touched by your pictures and story. What a testimony builder for your dear children...as well as yourself. Thank you for sharing..... May the Lord bless you....

Barbara McKenna
scrapinaddict@gmail.com

Rachel Louanne! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Louanne! said...

I dont know you but I just recieved the email of your experience! Thank you so much for sharing! Our Relief Society president used it in her lesson on sunday to show how the prophet is a man....a wonderful man at that!and how he loves us even though he doesn't know us personally. You have helped my testimony to grow of the prophet! As my mom was sharing this story with me I kept saying "the church is true the church is true!" :) Thank you again for sharing your wonderful experience with the world!! I pray your children remember this moment and how important and special they are! We truly are blessed to have such a wonderful prophet to lead and guide us!

Cecily Markland said...

Could you email me about this post? writeone at cox dot net

wendy said...

Hello :) I loved seeing all of your photos and reading about your awesome experience. My dad is Elder Walker-he got the biggest kick out of stopping and chatting with you guys! Isn't President Monson amazing???

ERIN said...

I'm another reader of your post that you don't know. I wanted to tell you how thrilled I was to see the photos of the prophet laughing. My husband and I kept "rewinding" the part of his last conference introduction when he was talking about Francis and his navy suit and then he just let out this "burst" of laughter. It was the greatest sound I have ever heard! We kept using the internet to re watch that particualar scene because it just filled me with instant happiness! How amazing that your children and your family go to hear it in person! Thank you for posting this, and what a sweet story about your daughter and the comment he made about her being a good mother. My friend had President Monson in her house for dinner once when she was a young girl. She remembers that President Monson smelled like Old Spice Cologne... did he still smell like that? I have always wondered what he would smell like if I were to hug him. Just curious since you were so close by!!!
From The Sivert Family in Queen Creek Arizona!

Karla said...

Thank you for posting where those of us who don't know you but get teary eyed reading and understanding can feel like we had a similar experience. A life chaning event!

Mahers said...

I was forwarded this post by my inlaws and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it with everyone!

Todd and Jacy Skouson said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience- it bought tears to my eyes. A friend emailed me your story and then there was a link to your blog. What a special day for your whole family and all that we there. Thank you again for sharing.

Rose Hematite said...

Thank you for sharing this! It was wonderful! It is so neat to see the Prophet being a normal person!
To have such a gift of the Gospel, such good humor, and Love...I wish I could have been there. Your photos and description at least make me feel like I wasn't far away.

Ryan Reeder said...

What an awesome experience! Thanks for the post.

Shel said...

Hi there! I am another "stranger" who received your wonderful account from a forwarded email, and so I of course sent it on to my family and closest LDS friends. Thank you soooo much for sharing. My Dad is a bit of a photoshop nut and so he called me and asked me if I knew your blog...and I figured it out from the email...anyways....he cleaned up the blurry picture of Pres Monson with Bro. Beals for you....(I'm wondering if he is related to my Beals in Waddell?)....I would love to email it to you but can't find your email address on your blog (I don't post mine on my blog either!) If you would like the cleaned up copies of that picture, send me an email and I will email them to you. shelturley at yahoo dot com Thanks again for sharing this...I LOVED it!! I LOVE LOVE LOVED the noon dedication I saw, this was sooo wonderful to add to that experience. Thank you!!

Karen said...

Someone was nice enough to send me your pictures of the Prophet's visit here to Arizona and what a great story you have written to keep in your childrens book of remembrance I enjoyed your story. We have some Beals that live here in our area am sure they are related. Thanks so much for the pictures and your story
Karen Tankersley

Papa "P" said...

Hey Dave. I hope you shared your pecans with the prophet if you had some with you. LOL I am glad to see that you and the family are such celebrties. It would have been a great experience.
My wife and I are on our third mission now. We just re-uped for another 30 Mos. as the transition missionaries at the Weber Couty Jail (1,100) inmates. We hold church and teach institute but then we get to work with them when they get out. I write food and clothes orders, help with bus passes, medicines doctors and pretty much everything to try and give them a new start. It is a very spiritual experience and to give up to ten or more blessings as we visit with them in a week is powerful. I pray constantlt for the power of discernment.
Love,
Your Greenie,
Elder Paul E. Porter

JP said...

My mom sent me an email with your story and pictures in it. What a great way to wake-up and start the day! I felt the spirit so strongly reading your words about our prophet and his apostles! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this experience down!

I'm over in New Zealand by the way. Your experience will be shared with my friends over here!

Grandma Jodi said...

It's my belief that good things happen to good people - you must be "great" people!! So happy for you and your family. A life altering experience for all, I'm sure! Thank you for sharing - your spirit of joy and awe come through incredibly strong... Much love to you and your beautiful family!! Gma Jodi

Grandma Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nanna kay said...

What a great experience.I'm from England and i'm soooo glad I received this.Thanks

Harold said...

Thank you so much for sharing this treasured family event. A friend of mine forwarded this link to me, and I so enjoyed every picture and comment. Truely a cherished moment for your family.
We love President Monson as well. He spoke at my father's funeral four years ago and showed so much sincere love and compassion. He IS a Prophet of the Lord!
You good folks just keep on raising and nurturing those precious children down there in Arizona.
Harold Skousen,
Riverton, Utah

Unknown said...

Oh what a beautiful story! We felt every detail as you described it! Thank You so much for sharing!
Brother & Sister Carey
St.David, Arizona

Andrea said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It was beautiful. I loved seeing the prophet with all the little children. So touching...

Andrea Davis
West Lafayette, Indiana

Layton Gals said...

You don't know me and I don't expect you to post it but would like the permission to post a link to your story. It touched my heart and I want tp have access to it when my testimony wanes as it seems to do from time to time. This was beautiful and precious thanks for sharing it on your blog for all of us to share in the wonder of our prophet.

Kellie said...

I'm yet another stranger to see your post. I'm so grateful for the internet for these kinds of purposes! Seeing Pres. Monson among your children and the other children reminded me of our Savior and how he took time for the children. I can't imagine how it must have felt but THANK YOU so much for posting this and allowing so many strangers to view it! I hope all those boys do serve missions!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for allowing the rest of us to witness this special event.At our Stake Conf. today in Idaho, this event was presented by the Stake Patriarch and I was able to interpret it for the deaf congregation. As I'd already seen your pictures, it allowed me "paint" an accurate "picture" in the minds of those who were enjoying the experience through you. What a wonderful event for you and your family and one that will be cherished forever! Verla

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a marvelous occasion. I was touched by the joy in the faces of your family and friends and your comments. What an opportunity.

Becke said...

I was just forwarded your blog from my mom, she got it from her sister-in-law, etc. I am sitting here at work just crying thinking of how wonderful your experience was. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How moving! Your blog was fwded to me by a good friend. Thanks for posting. It sure makes me determined to get to the Gilbert temple dedication!

Anonymous said...

How moving! Your blog was fwded to me by a good friend. Thanks for posting. It sure makes me determined to get to the Gilbert temple dedication!

Shillene Hancock said...

I got an email from a friend about this story, and wanted to Thank You for posting this story!! It REALLY brightened my day. Thanks for sharing what happened, and your feelings! Very Precious!

Hanna said...

How amazing that must have been!! I have tears in my eyes reading your story. It was fun seeing all of those pictures too! Thank you for letting us see this.

Rhonda said...

Yes....your post here has gone viral in email. Amazing. I loved having the opportunity to read your meeting of the Prophet. How precious for your children. What's even more amazing is the settling of the Gila Valley by our ancestors. (My family: Kempton' and Barnum') Being from there too, I have to say....the starkness and the harsh conditions must have been incredibly trying for the pioneers. What a blessing to now see the temple built and how the Valley has flourished. Thanks for posting.

Bridgettepatterson said...

Just got this in an email...wow! What a choice experience! Thanks for posting!

Gwen said...

Just received this email/link to your blog from Chad Green in Morgan, Utah. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you don't mind if I link it from my blog. So very happy for your family. Once in a lifetime experience for sure.

mama said...

Just received this email --- I live in Rexburg Idaho. So glad for the amazing experience you had with your friends and family --- something they will always remember. Thank you for sharing --

Cyndy said...

Thanks for sharing. What an unforgettable experience. It's good for church members to know that the prophet and brethren are approachable. You have a darling family. (From Kaysville, Utah)

Rodney said...

Thank you for sharing a wonderful blessing with so many. Kudos to your missing husband for the sign work.

Carli W. said...

I hope you don't mind my looking at your blog. My friend sent this to me through my e-mail and I was so excited about your experience. My husband grew up in Pima and went down to the Gila Valley temple open house with our 2 year old in May. What an awesome experience for you and your family! We've been really excited and happy for a temple to be built there.

Taralee said...

I realize that you're getting a ton of comments from people you don't know, so hopefully this isn't "just another one". I wanted to thank you for posting this! I really appreciate all the pictures and that you wrote so much about the experience. This post has such a strong spirit about it and I will be forever grateful! I've always KNOWN that the Prophet is a man of God, but while reading your post it was confirmed to me once again, in a very strong way!!! THANK YOU! I cried and laughed the whole time reading this post and it has touched my heart! Thanks for letting me be touched by your most amazing experience!!!

Do you mind if I link from my blog to your post. I won't do it until I hear a yes or no from you.

urkissable@yahoo.com
my blog is: tomtaralee.blogspot.com

D-lyn said...

I received your lovely story in an email.

It was passed on to me from a friend in Nevada.
Here I am in Colorado with goose bumps and tears. Thanks for sharing. Wish my kids could be touched by the prophet, like you daughter being a little mommy.
How special I am so glad you shared this on your blog thank you.

Michelle aka "Mommer Forever" said...

What a wonderful event. I am so thankful that it was passed along to me, in California. I felt the spirit just reading about it. It is awesome that you are able to share this experience with others through your blog. (Wasn't it Elder Holland that encouraged us to start blogs and share our lives and the gospel with others?) You are blessed. Thank you for sharing

Michelle aka "Mommer Forever" said...

Opps... it was Elder Ballard. In any case you are using this for good!

Peg said...

i got this in an email from my brother. wow! how amazing....this is when you would love to say, "i will never wash my hand again.". forget the movie stars i'll take the prophet or apostles anyday of the week. thanks for sharing your experience and your testimonies. mormon grandma in lehi, ut

Haven said...

What an incredible experience for you and your family! Thank you for sharing this.

Dickson Kids said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story. I live in las vegas and got it e-mailed to me. But hereing you tell about how they interacted with your family and Pres Monson's funny humor was just what I expected. What a dream come true for your family.

Jeanette said...

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this amazing experience! It came as a forward through our ward/neighborhood email here in Pleasant Grove,Utah and touched me so deeply. I feel almost like I was there because of the way you shared so many details of the story. Thank you so much!

Karen Ella said...

A GREAT post to circulate the wide world of the web. Love it! Your kids will remember this forever! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Chris and Bruce said...

We received an email with a link to your blog about meeting Pres. Monson. What a fabulous spiritual experience. Were surprised to see the Cluff family name - knew your in-laws in Tucson. What a treat. Tell Bro Cluff hello from Bruce Petty. Bruce said to tell you that he didn't think you could find a drier place to live than Tucson, but you did! We are in a suburb of Dallas and doing great.

Susie Mortensen said...

We had similar experiences with Pres. Hinckley in Parowan, Utah. It is a great thrill to see a Prophet of God interact with your children!! Thank you for the post!! It is great to see this traveling around the internet world!

Peter said...

Thank You !

Tiffany Feger said...

look at all of these coments you have here! my grandma sent this in a forward to me and i loved how you illustrated your journaling with the pictures. how lucky and blessed you are!

The Pender Family said...

What an awesome experience! This was sent to me by a friend in CA. I love President Monson's sense of humor!!! Thank you for sharing this memorable experience.

Michelle Glauser said...

As someone who grew up in the same stake as President Monson, I looooove him.

Chari said...

Amazing!! Thanks for sharing. It will strengthen the testimony of anyone who sees it. What a blessing for your family and friends. Gila Valley is close to my heart. This Arizona girl sends love from Plano, Texas! :D

Maria said...

This was emailed to me! Thank you for sharing this story. My kids and I loved the pictures! What an amazing experience.
Maria
Clinton, UT

fanciflora said...

I received this as an email and was so emotional about it. I'm so grateful that you were able to have this experience.
I had an experience with President Ezra Taft Benson while he was Prophet. We lived in Utah and I was flying to Arizona for a Temple wedding. As I boarded the plane there he was in 1st class seating with his wife and entourage. Everyone was trying to put their luggage either in the overhead or under their seats and trying to get settled in--that left me standing in the aisle right next to President Benson so I set my bag on the floor as he was finished putting his bag away and was turning back to his seat, I stuck out my hand, introducing myself, he took my hand in both of his and then introduced me to his wife who was seated next to him. Her name was the same as mine, Flora. She began asking me if I knew what "Flora" meant. I said, "yes," she went on to say that it meant flower garden as she patted my hand with both of hers. This all was happening as their bodyguards were watching with their eagle-eyes and coming quite close. That is also a day to remember for a lifetime!
I'm connected to the Gila Valley also. My maiden name is Dodge. Some of my ancestry is Allred & Bryce also.
Love your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Gary S. said...

Thanks for sharing your visit with the prophet in such detail. The narrative and photos are detailed and very inspiring. Congratulations on providing such a memorable experience for your children.

Question: how did you know when and where the prophet would be flying in and then driving?

Unknown said...

Wow, amazing! Wonderful! (yeah, you're right, the words I have aren't adequate - and that's just from seeing your blog post) Thanks for sharing your experience. I almost felt I was there with y'all.

Not sure how, but somehow an email made it's way to Texas and that's how I found my way here.

Thanks again,
Tonya in TX

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamara said...

I'm another recipient of the email regarding your family's experience with the Prophet. What a wonderful memory for your family!

Tamara Walchli
Seattle, WA

Anonymous said...

After attending the Gila Valley Temple opening and watching the celebration via satellite, I just want to thank you for being inspired to bring your camera and posting these wonderfully captioned pictures to share with all of us!

Nancy Cluff said...

Hey cousins. I wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures.
Your Utah cousin, Les Cluff

Jacque said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. It has inspired me to follow the Prophet's example by being more positive and encouraging to children! Well, to everyone...we don't outgrow the need to be recognized and appreciated do we? Thanks again.

Julie T said...

Thank you so much for making this available! I am so happy for your family in having this memorable, life-changing experience (esp for Kiersten!!!) And envious at the same time! Maybe some day...

Mele said...

thanks for sharing. I received this through email and had to check it out your blog. I felt the Spirit in your story and am grateful that you've strengthened my own testimony of our beloved prophet. Indeed, I'm truly indebted to a loving Heavenly Father who has blessed us with a prophet on Earth! -mka

Katz said...

WOW! What an awesome experience, not only for you, but for all of those children.

Someone passed along a link to your blog, so I had to come check it out. My mom's family is from Pima. Now we just have to figure out how we're related. lol

Roger and Marilyn said...

Thank you for so eloquently describing with words as well as pictures what it's like to meet the Prophet in person and actually get to shake his hand and visit with him. Though I've never had that honor and possibly never will living, I was able to enjoy the experience vicariously through you and your friends and family. Thank you for the tears of joy I cried through your shared experience. Sincerely, Marilyn Geckler (of Leesville, SC)