Friday, October 17, 2014

Gotta Make It "Fun"

Well we would hate to break our vacation tradition now wouldn't we.  It's never been me that needed an ER while on vacation but like they say, Theres a First Time for Everything!!


I ended up at the ER at 9:00 at night on Friday night.  That morning we had decided to rent surf board and give it a try.  I had tried surfing one other time, years ago when Justin and I were in Hawaii.  So I opted not to have me or the kids take any lessons.  There is a reason why you see the surfers walking in from the water carrying their boards.  You generally don't see them ride the waves all the way up to the beach and get off.  They jump off in a few feet of water and grab their boards then walk on to beach.
Now it all makes sense why!!
Well in my attempts to catch a wave I wasn't super good.  I caught a few waves but it was always short lived.  So once I caught a good wave I was overcome with excitement!  I got so excited and I didn't want it to end so I just road the wave all the way up to the beach.  Once my board was suck on the sand I jumped off.
Once I jumped off the board with my right foot another wave came crashing in to the beach.  It caught hold on my board and slammed into my right leg.  I had yet to stand on my left foot so the board hitting my right leg jarred me.  I fell straight now.  At first I thought my knee was popped out of place.  It hurt pretty bad.  I sat there in the water for a good 5 minutes or so before I could really even attempt to get up.
Once I was able to make myself stand up I realized my knee was just sore but that my right foot on the ball of my foot hurt to step on.  I sat down on the beach for a few minutes.  I knew I probably couldn't stand to surf any more but maybe I could boogie board still.  It was painful to walk on my right foot so I kind of hobbled along but was still able to enjoy a few hours of boogie boarding with the kids.  Justin was at the beach house doing work still while Ella was napping.
Once up on dry land in did hurt to walk on my foot but I didn't want it to ruin our day so I just walked on the heel of my foot and tried to avoid putting any pressure on the ball of my foot.  Later on in the afternoon the kids wanted to walk down to Belmont Park.  After walking a ways on the board walk I knew I needed to try something else.  My foot was just too uncomfortable so I found bikes for us all to rent.  I am so glad I did that!!  It felt much better to get the pressure off of my foot!


After we got Ella to bed I could tell it was hurting more than I had hoped.  I thought maybe if I laid down the pain would go away but it didn't really.  So around 9:00 I asked Justin if he could take me to the ER.  I didn't want to have to go the following day and waste our last day at the beach.
It was a great ER.  We got right in and explained everything that happened.  The doctor said it was probably just some soft tissue damage from the trauma of the surf board.  But that she wanted some x-rays just to be sure.
After the x-rays the doctor came back and told me that I had indeed actually broken my foot!!! WHAT??? NO WAY!!! I have never broken a bone in my life and now a break my foot surfing!  Crazy!


Justin and I were both in shock.  I don't think Justin thought it was broken because I had done so much all day long with my foot hurting.  This is proof that I am NOT a WHIMP :)


This would be the surf board that broke my foot!  I was so glad to get a walking boot.  The ER doctor told me to use crutches but honestly with a 10 month old baby how would that even be possible?
I ended up having to be in the boot for 6 full weeks.  It was not fun!! The timing of having my foot in a boot while Ella is so young, yet so chunky proved to be a daily challenge.  I felt like the boot itself was a pain and really threw my hips out of place.
Sure made for a crazy vacation story though..........glad it was me and not one of my kids!

No comments: