Sunday, March 7, 2010

White Girls Can Cook

My good friend Debbie makes The Best Tortillas. I told her I wanted her to teach me how to make them. I thought she would say something like, "oh yes, your just a little white girl!" But she didn't. She said he would love to teach me and so the story begins......
I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but I was hoping for an easy recipe. Boy was I wrong as she uses no recipe. I told her she was crazy and how did she think she was going to teach this white girl to cook tortillas without any recipe. She reassures me I will learn! I told her I was going to take a million pictures so I could at least remember the quantities somewhat. So we start with the flour. Ya not an exact measurement just this much...
Then we add some salt. Yes she told me my hand is going to be my measuring cup. She kept laughing at me because I was insisting on taking pictures so I could remember and I kept laughing at her thinking I can just use my hand as my "measuring cup."
Then we add baking powder......ya that much.
Then we added a little more salt.
One spoon full of shortening...
Another spoon full of shortening.
Mix that all up with your hands. We had such a great time visiting and laughing. I just love Debbie! She is so sweet to me and the kids. She's taken Logan home with her some days because he wanted to play with her. We all adore her! I am so excited to learn the art of making delicious tortillas from such an awesome person!
Once it's mixed, we add in the water. Then use our hands and mix it up.
Then work the dough and kneed it a bit.
Pinch off balls for each tortilla. She does it so stinkin' fast. I kept telling her she had magic Mexican fingers.
She taught me how to make the tortillas into good circles. There is definitely an art to making tortillas.
When cooking them we wait for the bubbles. That means it's time to flip the tortillas. I asked her if she needed a spatula. She looked at me like I was crazy and just grabbed the tortilla with her fingers and flipped it. See I told her she had magic Mexican fingers.
I had to have proof for my kids and Justin to believe that I actually helped make the tortillas. I am excited to one day be able to make these delicious tortillas all on my own. She makes the best tortillas I have ever had.
Work it girl! When it came to flipping the tortillas with my fingers.........yeah what can I say I am a white girl for heaven sake! We had such a fun time visiting and laughing.
Look at the masterpieces! You have to let them cool before placing them in ziplock bags. I had to cheat on my diet and just taste a little bit of one. YUMMY! I took a dozen to Stacy Moore and she loved them. They are absolutely mouth watering! So watch out someday I might not bring you homemade bread but I might just stop by with the best homemade tortillas you've ever had! Thanks a million Debbie! I just love you!

No comments: